sweet onion + watermelon = salsa?

Sunday, June 28, 2009 |

When I used to gag over the sautéed onions at dinner as a child, my mother would cheerfully say, “Your taste buds will change someday, and you’ll like onions too!” I was never quite so angry with my mom as in those moments. How could I EVER like onions? They made me nauseous! I went so far as to bury them in the front yard rather than finish my dinner, for heaven’s sake! As I’ve discovered in so many different instances, however, mom is always right. Though the change might not be due so much to a shift in tastes as my coffee habit burning and destroying all real taste cells in my tongue.

I’m still not much for cooked or fried onions, but I love them raw and in sauces or savory dishes. The following salsa recipe looks absolutely delicious and summer-friendly. I plan to make it for the 4th of July picnic that is…happening? Being planned? Will occur without any previous forethought or preparation? I’d better get on that…

In the meantime, courtesy of www.sweetonions.org and Amazon’s al dente blog:

Walla Walla Sweet Onion and Watermelon Salsa

INGREDIENTS

2 cups chopped watermelon (seeds removed)


3/4 cup chopped Walla Walla Sweet Onion


3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained


1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno chilies


1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


1 tablespoon brown sugar


1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

Stir together all the ingredients in bowl. Refrigerate, covered, at least one hour to blend flavors. Stir before serving.

[Recipe Courtesy of the Walla Walla Sweet Onion Marketing Committee and The National Watermelon Promotion Board]

Best thing about this salsa? It utilizes Walla Walla onions, from my marvelous home state.

7 comments:

Ginny Larsen said...

wow, that sounds amazingly good, actually.

and concerning 4th of july plans... yeah, we're still working on that too... no big parties around here, and we'll be parentless (and chip is going to CA), so we're trying to come up with someting.

who knows.

but sounds good and thanks for sharing. and yes, Walla Walla onions are the best.

vvb32 reads said...

it's fun to say walla walla onions. this is an interesting combination. what's good dipping into it? the usual tortilla chips?

Cecelia said...

yes, tortilla chips. or those fritos scoops, which are a bit thicker. good on thin-sliced bread as well (as sort of a bruschetta).

Barrie said...

Oooh. I might make this for the fourth of July bar-b-que we're going too. I have to bring a dessert and a surprise. Your salsa will be my surprise. Just printed it off! Thanks.

Barrie said...

Do you think I could use canned pinto beans instead of black beans? My picky picky family...

Cecelia said...

Pinto beans should be just fine. The black beans are slightly smaller and add color contrast, but it's not a taste thing.

Sheila DeChantal said...

This sounds yummy! I love salsa - especially home made!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home