top ten books on my fall to-be-read list

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 |
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, where we all get to exercise our OCD tendencies and come up with bookish lists.  If you’d like to play along, check out this post.

top ten tuesday

Top Ten Books On My Fall TBR List

1. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente – This one has been on my wishlist ever since I read Valente’s first wonderful Fairyland adventure.  I look forward to having my heart handed to me by another gorgeous story.

2. Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan – Ms. Brennan writes hilarious and poignant prose, and I say ‘yes’ to whatever she wants to give us readers.  That this one also has a gorgeous cover doesn’t hurt anyone.

3. Riveted by Meljean Brook – I love steampunk (see: Steampunk Week in September!), and I love what Meljean Brook has done in her Iron Seas series.  I can’t wait to read this latest installment.

4. The City’s Son by Tom Pollock – I have heard Pollock’s debut compared to Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere, and there’s nothing I love so much as Neil Gaiman read-alikes.  I have this one, just need to clear time in my schedule to read it!

5. Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz – Gothic thriller meets puppetry, magic and a Dickensian plot.  Need I say more?

6. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake – I’ve been hearing good things about this title for over a year now, and I bought a copy to read on my phone.  Sounds like just the thing for some Halloween chills.

7. The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire Legrand – Another middle grade title gets my attention with a combination of creepy, clever and just a hint of bizarre humor.  Should be right up my alley.

8. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter – Zombies?  Check.  Retelling?  Check.  Unlimited fun?  Guaranteed.

9. Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill – I do love a story that promises brave-hearted heroines, dragons, and has a beautiful cover to go with it.

10. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater – I changed my mind about Stiefvater after I fell in love with The Scorpio Races last year.  I can’t wait to see what else she has cooked up.

How about you – what books are on your radar for fall?

19 comments:

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

Anna Dressed in Blood was such a good one! I haven't read the sequel yet but maybe I should this fall, in time for Halloween! Iron Hearted Violet looks really cute. I don't usually read many MG novels but that is one I am hoping to pick up. Great list! :)

My Top Ten Tuesday

Melanie said...

I changed my mind about Stiefvater too! My change came after reading the first two books in her Books of Faerie series. Now I'm looking forward to reading The Scorpio Races.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Yay Anna!
Splendors and Glooms looks goood.

Quinn @ Quinn's Book Nook said...

I actually wasn't a huge fan of Anna Dressed in Blood, but I never did finish it. Maybe my expectations were too high? I do love ghost stories. Have you read Texas Gothic? I loved that one.

Great list, and happy reading.

Liviania said...

Unspoken and The Raven Boys are both ridiculously good. Two of the best books I've read this year.

Nicole said...

THE GIRL WHO FELL BENEATH FAIRYLAND is really good! I'm excited to go read THE RAVEN BOYS...

SeeJennRead said...

Oh wow, I've never tried any of Gena Showalter's YA books, but that Alice in Zombieland looks really good! Thanks and great list! :)

Hollie said...

Anna Dressed in Blood made my list too, I've heard nothing but good things about it! Alice in Zombieland looks great too.

My Top Ten

Amanda said...

Anna Dressed in Blood would be such a good fall read! Especially around Halloween.

April (BooksandWine) said...

I'm currently reading Splendors and Glooms AND IT IS SO GOOD. I bet you'll love it, Cecelia.

I hope you get to read all of the books you picked out for fall. :-)

kayerj said...

fun list, I really like the sound of the first one. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Allison L said...

Fun list! Anna Dressed In Blood will be the perfect read for Halloween time! :)

Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine

Ginny Larsen said...

nice. i am liking these lists... it is very productive-feeling. currently working on my own (crafty) list over here.

Erica said...

Splendors and Glooms looks fab! And The Cavendish School for Boys and Girls looks SO SO SO great. I need to go buy it ASAP. :)

Em said...

I really need to read Anna Dressed in Blood and the first of Valente's fairyland books. They both sound like books I'm bound to love. Happy reading!

Angela @ Reading Angels said...

YAY for Alice! :D Can't wait for that one!
I plan to read Unspoken this month, I'm pretty excited for it!

Angela said...

I love to read funny. I'll have to look into Unspoken. Thank you for sharing.

Alexa S. said...

I really liked The Raven Boys (since I just got to read it). It's certainly different, that much I'll say.

Wallis said...

I'm currently on a self imposed "Read What You Have" kick but if I wasn't The Raven Boys would be the first thing I'd get my hands on.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home